Message begins around 24:50
Downloads and Links:
- The Lord’s Prayer and Alert Prayer Model PDF – Download HERE
- Small Group Discussion Guide – Download HERE
- Tutorial for using Zoom HERE
- Download the Guide Booklet for Lent HERE
Unself: Teach Us to Pray
Text(s): Luke 11:1-13; Matthew 6:9-13
Biblical Basic: Prayer | I pray to God to know him, to find direction for my life, and to lay my requests before him. | Psalm 66:18-20
Sermon in a Sentence: Prayer is our Declaration of Dependence on God, where we align our will to his and place our complete trust in Him.
- Teach us to Pray: The Model Prayer offered by the Master
- It will probably always be known traditionally as The Lord’s Prayer, but it might better be understood as The Disciple’s Prayer for Kingdom Righteousness.
- Our Precious and Heavenly Father
- By first addressing God as Father of the Heavens, we are stepping into the Kingdom reality of relationship.
- You are your Poppa’s Precious!
- Hallowed = set apart and revered
- “May your name be treasured and loved more than any other, held in an absolutely unique position among humanity.”
- We should pray that his name – the reality of His goodness – will be known, revered, and loved above all else.
- Notice how we begin our prayer with a focus on God, not ourselves.
- Your Kingdom come – your will be done
- This is very much a prayer of submission – an act of “unselfing.”
- “We should surrender our “little kingdoms” to the rule and reign and will of the Kingdom of Righteousness.”
- Give us this day…
- We are to place our every need for today in the hands of the great provider.
- Philippians 4:6 CSB: Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
- The godly solution to worry is trust and thanksgiving.
- Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.
- For what do I need to repent and who do I need to forgive?
- Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
- We should pray for strength to resist poor choices and to live out Kingdom Righteousness.
- Thine is the Kingdom and the power…
- We’re making a declaration to God: You’re in charge! You can do anything you want! You have the power to accomplish these requests.
- Amen = ”So be it.”